'EUROPE.' by John Tallis c.1853
A highly decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Europe which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by J. Marchant & J. Rogers) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1853).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The map of 'Europe' was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Russian and Lapland Travellers, Seal Hunting, an Arab (with Camel) and poignantly, a Slave Market.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 32cms by 26.2cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins; centrefolded, as issued. There is a repaired tear in the left border not affecting the printed area. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 155 years old.