'DENMARK' by John Tallis / John Rapkin c.1851
A very attractive and decorative mid 19th century map of Denmark which was drawn and engraved by John Rapkin and published in John Tallis & co.'s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851)
John Tallis's The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The Denmark map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its ornamental border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are fine views of Copenhagen, Sleswig and Elsinore Castle, the setting for William Shakespeare's Hamlet.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 25cms by 34.5cms.
- The map is in very good condition; the right margin is close, as issued, but still mountable without loss. There are a few minor spots which show up more in the image than they do in normal light. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.