'CHILI AND LA PLATA' by John Tallis / John Rapkin c.1851
A highly decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of northern Argentina and Chile which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Winkles & W. Lacey) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Chili and La Plata' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of The Grand Square, Buenos Aires; a water seller of Buenos Aires; the travelling post; the Gobernador (Governor); and a rattlesnake.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 25.1cms by 35cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.