'ASIA' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A decorative and finely executed mid 19th century map of Asia which was drawn and engraved by John Rapkin (vignettes by J. Marchant and J. B. Allen) and published in John Tallis & co.'s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York, c.1851)
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The Asia map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its ornamental border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of the architectural city of Petra, Tartars on horseback, Russian peasants, walruses and various 'sun-birds of India and the Phillippine Isles'.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 32.3cms by 25.8cms.
- The map is in very good condition. The bottom margin is close but still mountable without loss. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.